Special Offer for Limited Time:
- For those travelling from further afield and wanting a 200 bird day or more we are delighted to offer a limited number of places at Hallbar Tower (sleeps 8).
- This is complementary and on a first come first served basis.
The Tower was originally a Douglas stronghold probably built around 1581. In 1681 it was acquired by Sir George Lockhart. It would have been built in response to an Act of Parliament of 1535 directing those with land to the value of £100 to construct a tower, thirty feet square, to protect himself and the local population from Border raiders.
In 1837 the building had become semi-ruinous and in 1861 it was restored by Sir Norman Macdonald Lockhart under the supervision of Dr. D.R. Rankin of Carluke.
It again came into a state of disrepair with a leaking roof and the flagstone beginning to fall in but in 1998 it was agreed to lease it to a building preservation trust who restored it sympathetically and with much attention to detail. The building has now returned to the family and it is available for holiday accommodation together with the Bothy. It sleeps up to eight people.